New Faculty Foundations
The New Faculty Foundations Program provides both a community for new faculty in the College of Engineering (CoE) and resources for new faculty success. The program is coordinated by the Office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the College of Engineering, in cooperation with the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching in Engineering (CRLT-Engin).
Establishing connections with colleagues is an essential element to new faculty success. As a part of the New Faculty Foundations program, engineering faculty will have the opportunity to informally gather with their peers via a virtual meeting. Participants will respond to a survey to indicate preferred discussion topics for these sessions. Topics may include discovering best practices for teaching and learning, supporting students in distress, mentoring graduate students, preparing your first grant, and preparing for your annual review.
Upcoming NFF Monthly Gatherings (register using the blue buttons above):
- October 8, 1-2pm
- November 5, 1-2pm
- Dec, TBD
New Faculty Orientation
The Fall 2020 College of Engineering (CoE) New Faculty Orientation (NFO) will be an online offering that is separated into 2 distinct parts.
Part 1 of CoE NFO is in a Canvas course available to new faculty starting August 10. We recommend setting aside concentrated blocks of time to review the materials by Tuesday, August 18, 2020. These materials are representative of the information that would be offered in a day-long orientation. The modules include the following information:
- Overview of the College of Engineering from Deans Gallimore & Wellman,
- Highlights of U-M policies and standard practices,
- Resources on teaching including inclusive course design and remote teaching,
- Perspectives on faculty and student life from members of the CoE community,
- Strategies for starting a research group and identifying research resources,
- Strategies for navigating within the College of Engineering as a lecturer, and
- Creation of an action plan to support the synthesis of all resources within the Canvas site.
If you need an invitation to the Canvas site, please contact Carol Lagemann (email@example.com) for assistance.
Part 2 of CoE NFO is a virtual gathering for faculty to meet colleagues, address their concerns, and discuss their action plans for the fall term. Attendees are expected to attend 1 of 2 online Zoom meetings. We are offering two times for the virtual sessions to allow for greater flexibility for participants.
- Session #1: Tuesday, August 18, 1:00-2:30 p.m. EDT
- Session #2: Thursday, August 20, 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. EDT
All new faculty are also encouraged to attend the University-wide New Faculty Orientation session held via Zoom Webinar on Wednesday, August 26, 2020, from 9:00-11:30 a.m. EDT.