New Fall 2020 engineering instructional aides (IAs) are REQUIRED to fulfill teaching orientation requirements.
The Fall 2020 Engineering IA Teaching Orientation (EIATO) will be an online offering that is separated into 2 parts.
Part 1 of Fall EIATO is in a Canvas course available to new IAs starting August 23 and the modules must be completed by September 5. This part will contain the following mandatory modules:
- Overview of Teaching in the College of Engineering
- Teaching Policies
- Best Practices for Teaching & Learning
- Introduction to the Science of Learning
- Inclusive Teaching
- Effective Lesson Planning
- Teaching Engineering Primer
- Teaching in Remote Contexts
Part 2 of Fall EIATO will consist of participation in new GSI/IA learning cohort communities that meet after orientation. Whilst completing the EIATO Canvas course, new GSIs & IAs will sign up for their learning cohort & select their meeting times based on their availability. All 3 meetings are mandatory & will be within the following time frame:
- Meeting 1: Introductions & Inclusive Teaching in Engineering (during the week of Sept. 7)
- Meeting 2: Sharing Learning from Seminars (during the week of Sept. 21)
- Pre-work includes completing 1 of 3 asynchronous seminars (available in the EIATO Canvas course by Sept. 10)
- Meeting 3: Troubleshooting Classroom Challenges (during the week of Oct. 5)
For questions about requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Any new IA who does not complete the training will not be allowed to serve as a College of Engineering IA in future terms.
The Canvas course is not yet open.
To view frequently asked questions and event information, click here.