Engineering GSI & IA Teaching Orientation Department Coordinators
Department Coordinators Information
This page contains information for the College of Engineering department GSI and IA coordinators about the College’s required training for IAs and GSIs. This training is conducted through the Engineering GSI/IA Teaching Orientation (E-GSI/IA TO), administered by the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching in Engineering (CRLT-Engin).
Relevant Instructor Responsibilities
Training enables GSIs and IAs in the College of Engineering to:
- Prepare or assist in preparing instructional materials
- Instruct or assist in instructing courses
- Give lab or clinical demonstrations
- Lead lab sessions
- Lead recitation sessions
- Prepare, administer, or score exams
- Consult with or tutor students
- All persons who work as IAs or GSIs in the College of Engineering are required to complete training.
- GSIs in all departments must complete the entire training course.
- IAs in CSE and ECE must complete the entire training course.
- IAs in all other departments must complete Part 1 and Part 2 only. (See “Training Elements,” below.) They will be required to complete Part 3 if they become an IA for CSE/ECE or a GSI in future semesters.
- Some departments have alternate training requirements as pre-approved by the ADUE’s office and CRLT-Engin.
The Engineering GSI/IA Teaching Orientation (E-GSI/IA TO) consists of three (3) parts.
Payment for Training
Departments should compensate GSIs and IAs for the hours spent in training.
Tracking Training Progress
Department IA and GSI coordinators receive an email each semester from the ADUE’s office with a link to a Google Drive folder containing a file that lists all IAs and GSIs from their department. Please upload or input information for all GSIs and IAs hired in your department for the term into this file, and edit the list as needed.
CRLT-Engin staff will periodically update the file with completion status for your department’s IAs/GSIs. You can use this document to check on your student instructors’ training completion throughout the term.
If you did not receive an email with a link to this folder, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Missed or Incomplete Training
Students who do not complete training during the semester in which it is required (i.e., students in their first semester as an IA / GSI, or returning students who are required to complete additional training) will not be allowed to serve as a College of Engineering GSI/IA in future terms. Exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis by the ADUE’s office.
In order to reflect the increased costs of additional training, departments will be charged $100 for each GSI and IA who misses training.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com. This email address goes to Karen Revill in the ADUE office and to Carol Lagemann and Linda LaNoue at CRLT-Engin.